Friday, July 20, 2012

CAMP

There is something special about spending a week out of your regular routine; being absolutely wild, getting a tan from dust and dirt, and screaming as loud as you can for no apparent reason at all. It's even more special knowing that everyone else came to do the same thing you did, that hardly anyone else has showered, and that you're not the only one whose hair feels gross and like a giant knot. I came home today from a quick three days away from the world's pressure, warm showers, (and because no warm- no showers at all) and those of the male gender. I went to girl's camp this week- a both spiritual and fun experience. Being a young woman in the LDS church, I have recently had the opportunity to not only go and have fun at camp- but to meet a bunch of new friends that believe the same things I do regarding my religion. Together, we walked around blindfolded, cried happy tears, sent out sky lanterns, and dressed up our longhouse "supermodel" as a gazelle. Everyone and everything there was AWESOME. (Yes, even the polar dip, which requires getting up at seven o'clock, changing into a swimsuit and jumping into the lake.) At this time, I am also going to state very plainly, that I was not in the little handful of half-mile finishers. Much as I would have liked to finish, I didn't. I got in the freezing lake, swam eight laps, (the half-mile is nineteen) and got out for a little break planning to get back in. I never got back in. Not back in that cold green water, probably home of many dead mosquitoes and who knows what else.
My older brother went to Boy Scout camp this week as well, and in comparison here is a list of things we women do and the Boy Scouts don't do:

  • Have "female bonding".
  • Do hair (or- I certainly hope not)
  • Eat really good food
  • Scream at the top of their lungs almost every time they clap
  • Give secret sister gifts
  • Sing the "Mormon Boy's Rap"
  • Try to keep their longhouse clean so that they can earn the "attractive stick"- last year it was a yardstick with Justin Bieber on it.
  • Paint nails
  • Make lace bracelets and beautiful necklaces at the craft table
... And much, much more


I also learned to tie dye at camp too! I thought I had failed my socks, but when I took the rubber bands off, they actually looked cooler that I had thought.

Hey Zinni! We sing the muffin song too! Except, a little different than you do.

Bye for now, Rhodo

No comments:

Post a Comment